Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Hurry! Read this before it's too late!

I received an email earlier this week that read:

On Wednesday, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.

That won't ever happen again.

You may now return to your (normal?) life.


Were you aware of that unique lining up of the numbers of time and date? Some of you quickly point out that this “clever scheme” is inaccurate because it leave out the “20” on the year. The brighter among us might point out that according to the Jewish Calendar the year is 5766. According to the Chinese calendar, it is the Year of the Dog, and I don’t know what number goes along with that (though I’m sure you would have to divide it by 7 to get the human year).

The email spoke truth; according to our calendar and time keeping methods, it will never again be 01:02:03 04/05/06. At least not for another thousand years.

The deeper truth, of course, is that the moment you just took to read this won’t ever come by again; not even after another thousand years.

What you and I do with our moments is always significant, whether or not the numbers on our clocks and calendars line up.

5 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now counts forever

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger J. Scott McKay said...

Forty years ago this summer I signed up for a reading club at the Midland library. My mother pointed out the date 06.06.66. This year it is 06.06.06. The 21st century brings all kinds of surprises!

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Kairos that, bro.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger John said...

It's like the old proverb "Lost time can never be regained." It's a great principle that encourages workaholism.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Steve Heyduck said...

Yes, John, I suppose it could be construed to encourage workaholism, though I didn't mean it that way.

I don't tend to beat myself up over trying to get everything done, or, in hindsight, beat myself up over all the opportunities lost because of sloth, indifference, or laziness.

Rather, I intended this post to remind us to live in the moment, plain and simple.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home