Thursday, March 16, 2006

Simply Amazing - so, is there a lesson here?

If you see my daughter, don't tell her, but her birthday present arrived via FedEx this morning. She will turn 17 a week from tomorrow.

I ordered the gift by phone Monday evening. The FedEx tracking page says "Package data" was transmitted to them at 9:48 am on Tuesday. The package left Shanghai that day at 1:18 pm (I presume local time). The package was in my hands a little before 10 am this morning (local time)

WOW! When I placed the order, I was told delivery would take place within 4-8 days. It took 2. From Shanghai!

The second thought I had on the promptness of shipping and delivery was that the USPS could perhaps learn something from this company. It seems that I remember that FedEx's founder presented this business plan to the Harvard School of Business and was told it would never work. It does work!

The first thought I had was: what can the church learn from this kind of service?

3 Comments:

At 3:43 AM, Blogger J. Scott McKay said...

Steve,

Two words come to mind.
Detain and deliver. Deliver is the word of service. Deliver my package. Deliver my soul. Deliver the Gospel. On the other hand detain gums the whole thing up. The economy runs on "just in time" service. The church stll doesn't know what time it is.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger John said...

It may sound really crass, but to a degree, churches need a sense of customer service. Staff should be attentive when a member or visitor wants a moment of attention.

On a slightly different note, churches should get non-members to attend as a 'secret shopper'. These outside perspectives can provide insights into the image that a church projects.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Questing Parson said...

The first thought I had was your daughter is turning seventeen, soon to be twenty-five (like tomorrow) and you're not weeping.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home