Sunday, March 12, 2006

CRASHed


I saw Crash this past Friday night. Not only is it one of the most intense movies I have ever seen, I really enjoyed it. No, "enjoyed" cannot be the right word. Crash grabbed me and would not let go for quite a while after the credits had rolled.

Crash, if you don't know, is about race relations, stereotypes, and the tradegy we live in called the United States of America. Paul Haggis wrote a story that paints an unrelenting picture of urban American society.

I wish it was just urban society, but the tension and uncertainty between racial and cultural groups is no stranger to small town America, like the town where I live.

I found it interesting that Crash manages to portray none of us as heroes or above the fray. Unlike some "race" movies, the white people aren't the simple minded, prejudiced idiots while everyone else is whole and well-adjusted. Simple minded prejudice idiocy comes in all colors and blends.

For my "position" on race relations in the US, see my post here from January 17.

See Crash. Don't expect to be comfortable.

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Steve,

My oldest son had been wanting me to see 'Crash' for some time. I finally caught it last week. You were right--it was an uncomfortable movie, but one with many memorable moments. The one that sticks out in my mind is when the Middle Eastern man marched up to the Hispanic locksmith with a gun, thinking he had been wronged. When the locksmith's daughter came out of the house and got between the assailant and her father, I literally held my breath. Very tense scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home