Thursday, March 02, 2006

Me and My Lincoln

I didn’t need to apologize, but I found myself doing so anyway. Repeatedly.

I did some travelling and preaching recently, and to save mileage on my car I rented cars each time. Both times I reserved a basic “full size” car. Both times they were out of full size cars when I arrived to pick mine up. Both times they upgraded me, at no extra charge, to a Lincoln. Though Lincoln will always be my favorite president, I had never planned to drive one of his cars.

I mean Lincolns are driven by better, or at least wealthier, people than me. Who am I to drive a Lincoln? (I don’t mind telling you it rode smooter, especially on the trip to Amarillo and back, than my honda would have)

I spent the weekends with lots of youth and other “church professionals” all of whom seemed incredibly impressed that I was driving a Lincoln. They seemed a little too impressed, so I apologized.

Then I realized that I have always known folks who drove “nicer” cars. The ones I knew were always the exception to the stereotype, though; they were pretty much just like the rest of us. In fact, the more I think about it, the more generally that is true; as I get to know people, almost no one fits very well into whatever stereotype I place on them from first impressions.

Why are we so quick to divide people into “us” and “them”? We do it not just with what kind of cars people drive, but with favorite teams, accents, skin tones, hair styles….

Here is some good news for you: even though we seem so quick to stereotype and differentiate, God is not! Jesus said in John that he came not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him!

While we have a penchant toward prejudice, God would rather not have anyone perish. (2 Peter 3:9)

That’s good news; I don’t care who you are. Or what you are driving.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger Richard H said...

Good piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home