Thursday, January 05, 2006

Thanks, Guys

Hook ‘em Horns! I am still recovering from a late night watching one of the most entertaining football games I have ever seen played.

Of course, it is easier for me to say that now than if USC had won; but this attitude is exactly what I want to write about.

After taking youth home, I sat up and watched quite a bit of the post-game show. All the announcers were effusive about the quality of the game and the competitiveness of the teams.

It was the interviews that got me. Every interview I saw: Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, and Mack Brown. In case you haven’t been following college football, that is this year’s three Heisman Trophy finalists and the coaches of the teams that were ranked #1 and #2 all year long.

What struck me about each interview was that each man gave credit where credit was due. Each of them recognized the strengths and abilities of the others.

It seems that so much of sports these days is shrouded in name-calling, blame-gaming, and excuse-making, it was truly refreshing to experience these top-caliber men speaking with character of the greatness of others.

There was greatness last night in the Rose Bowl, and it wasn’t just what happened with the football. Two of the top programs in college football showed, I think, what makes them great: molding teenagers into young men of character and integrity to give one’s all and to recognize and respect that others do the same thing.

Everyone cannot be a national champion. Everyone can, however, treat others with dignity and respect. We can, each of us, give our best, and recognize when others do the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home