Thursday, January 12, 2006

Telling an old, old story

If someone would have told me, I wouldn’t have believed it. But I experienced it firsthand, so I assure you it happened.

Last night I was taking our youth through the story of David and Bathsheba. When we got through verse 5, with Bathsheba pregnant, the youth were overwhelmed with what Bathsheba had done.

It took me a few seconds to collect myself and respond. This story wasn’t ahead Bathsheba’s wrong. It was about David and his abuse of kingly power and his lust. It wasn’t Bathsheba’s fault. It took me some time to help the kids to see that!

We smoothly moved on into a discussion about how guys have these strong hormonal urges and they just can’t help themselves. So maybe it does all always fall on the woman’s shoulders.

I couldn’t help but observe what a sad, pathetic assessment of males that was. It is even sadder to me that our society seems to have bought it hook, line, and sinker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home