Monday, November 21, 2005

Thankstelling v. Thanksgiving

For what are you thankful? I know, what boring question to read in a newspaper!

It is Thanksgiving week, after all, and we are being bombarded, even accosted, by the same question: "For what are you thankful?"

But the more astute of you notice I worded the question differently: I did not write "what are you thankful for;" but rather, "for what are you thankful?

Of course the main purpose of my changing the word order is to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition. Wouldn't my English teacher be proud?

But not only have I worded the question differently, I want you to take it differently. I don't want the rehearsed list of "family, friends, comfort, peace,
yada, yada, yada." For what are you REALLY thankful?

In fact, don't answer the question. Don't say a word. I may not believe you.

You see, we have a problem running rampant through our society that allows us to believe that saying something is enough. Saying I love you or I am thankful for this or that is all we ought or can do.

The tragic consequence is that if we say it, we think we do not have to live it.

So, this year, instead of telling anyone for what you are thankful, show them. Live it.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is saying the something speaks louder than words, but I just can't remember what that "something" is.

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff... So you write this stuff for a newspaper?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home