Friday, November 11, 2005

How does life fit you?

I remember when I got my first pair of cowboy boots. We didn’t move to Texas until I was 13, so I didn’t grow up wearing boots. While in high school, though, I came to realize I needed a pair of boots.

I found a pair of gray antelope boots. Even on sale they cost far more than I have ever spent on a pair of shoes, but it was a good brand from a reputable store and the salesperson taught me something interesting for my feet, and for my life.

The boots didn’t feel right on my feet. They pushed at parts of my feet that weren’t used to being pushed at. They were, in fact, uncomfortable. As it turns out, the discomfort my new boots caused was not a bad thing.

I had never worn a pair of shoes with actual arch support built into them. These boots cost more than twice what I had ever paid for a pair of shoes, and apparently they were built like it. What was better for my feet, and therefore for my back, my posture, and my well-being, hurt at first.

We cannot doubt God would rather have us live our lives much differently than most of us live them. Perhaps you have tried to change the way you live. Perhaps making changes has brought discomfort.

Discomfort in life can be a good thing. It can mean you are living in ways your body, or your soul, isn’t used to. If you have made changes in the way you live because God has lead you to do so, I can assure you the discomfort comes from your having never lived as well as God intends you to live.

It wasn’t long before my boots became comfortable. I just had to keep wearing them. Don’t let the discomfort you live change your commitment to walking into the kind of life God wants you to have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home