Monday, June 12, 2006

Coffee Club

They asked me not to write this, but I’m going to anyway. I occasionally drink coffee with a group of men. I’m there once or twice a week. There have been as many as 9 and as few as 2. I suppose sometimes there is only one there, but that one has never been me so far, so I wouldn’t know for sure.

So far as I can tell, we have not settled any of the pressing issues facing the world. We don’t meet to solve problems or to create them. We don’t really meet to drink coffee. There are even men in the group who don’t drink coffee.

There is no expressed purpose for this group. Some might tell you such gatherings are a waste of time.

Yet on my way to and from this gathering, I inevitably get to greet several other people. Sometimes we’ll stop and chat. Sometimes I am reminded of something I need to do. Sometimes I am reminded of needs and burdens. Sometimes I get to share my needs and burdens.

Then, once the coffee is poured (and I always drink some coffee), anyone can bring up any topic. No one is in charge. No one gets to trump any one else’s opinions, stories, or ideas. Sometimes some of us try.

I wonder what the world would be like if more of us would occasionally take the time to sit and talk over a cup of coffee and not have to agree about everything. Not even the coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home