Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Vacation Report

Ah, life’s decisions. I am on vacation. Should I still write a column? Or should I take this week off, as the idea of vacation implies, and forget this responsibility. I have columns from the past I could submit, but should I?

With the wonders of technology, I can write a column while sitting here in my hotel room in New Braunfels, Texas, passing time while my teenage daughter sleeps in. Since I am here, and have the time, I may as well go ahead and write it.

Sometimes we fantasize that vacation will be a time when we escape all the reality of our lives. We eat, sleep, move, read, play, exactly and only when and how we want to. I don’t think the best vacation is that absent of reality.

There is an order to our lives; admittedly, there are different amounts of order to different lives, but we all live by some sense of routine, regularity, or normalcy. It does us no good to utterly abandon all order and routine, or to attempt to do so, for a week or two a year. In fact, I think it does us harm.

That there is order in the world and in our lives I see as testimony to there being a Creator. This Creator does much care if we believe there is a creator, because this Creator wants a relationship with those who have been created. God wants a relationship with you and me.

There is order; there is routine to any relationship, as to any life. Dare we attempt to abandon all order and routine? Not me. I’ll just take it easy for a week. In a routine way.

1 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger John said...

While in New Braunsfels, are you going to go tubing?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home